Today has brought us some options from a very qualified surgeon. From the front desk to setting up follow up. Very nice patient experience. I have worked in this field for many years and this is what I strived for in my practice. Nice to see it from a different view. We arrived after our hour and a half drive with some thunderstorms. While my husband refused to use GPS or even look at the map I brought he insisted he knew the way. Well we got off track for a bit, but made it in time. You know us navigators cannot say or suggest anything.
Very streamline process, in and out in an hour. I had my two X-rays flexion and extension, brief visit from LPN, the Nurse Practictionor who did my neuro exam and then the surgeon. I even taped the MD discussion more for me to remember things. So I do have Spondyloslisthesis, synovial cyst, arthritis in facets and some slippage of L4-5 cause some spinal stenosis. A common theme is we treat you like family, but we do give options for you to make decisions. While a fusion would correct the problem, is can cause some stress or issues with vertebrae above the fusion is the future. To avoid surgery he did think it would be best to use intervention radiology to aspirated or puncture the cyst, relieving the pressure on the nerve and also a course of physical therapy and follow up with him in two weeks post procedure. If that is not effective then fusion surgery is the next option. We briefly discussed his technique, small incision and rehab of about 3 months and then I could do anything. Well I am not sure it is quite that easy, it sounded ok. He then proceeded to show us his stats which were very impressive. Close to 950 patients and .01%complications.
So we wait to have the procedure scheduled and will have a PT eval this Friday. Despite all of this my blood pressure was 120/62 the best in years! Go figure….
Just wanted to update you all…thanks for listening.